Friday, October 2, 2009

Dichromatic

So I recently started a new job and it got me thinking about my own personality.

I've realised that I act completely differently in an office situation to a normal social situation. Even when we're having work drinks (at which you're meant to be able to "relax" and "let it all hang out") I'm always somewhat on my guard. I'm always watching how I act and what I say, wanting to appear professional and intelligent.
This afternoon after drinks ended, I made my usual walk to the train station to head home and ran into a friend on the way, so stopped and had a chat. By the time I made it to the station, I saw that two of my co-workers had already arrived there, having been given a lift. I immediately started chatting amicably to them, which was a complete and utter change from how quiet and reserved I'd been sitting around the meeting room table with my glass of red.
What changed?
I'd gotten out of the office, and my office persona.
I don't like to think that so many people only see one tiny facet of me. Even those of me who see the "freer" me lack acquaintance with the mousy, over-organised office me.

I pretty much feel like this bro:


(c/o Eugene Ivanov, The Person with Two Faces)


And I mean, I knew this was the case, that everyone has different sides to them and acts differently in different situations. But it was just so glaring today!

Sometimes I just wish I could be one person, not some of the time, but all of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment